Friday, August 12, 2011

Dr. Jay A. Quine reflects on Jesus' use of "blessed"

Jesus is considered by scholars such as Weber ... Quine on the meaning of BlessedMatthew 5 "Blessed"
Don’t worry; be happy; was a popular song some years ago. But with all the pressures and trials of life, be happy don’t worry sounds like a fantasy! How can I not worry when I have bills to pay, and kids to raise, and a job at which I am to succeed, and pressures from extended family. And then I am supposed to be involved in ministry! I’m too pressured to be happy. But Jesus said, Blessed are the poor in spirit.” Blessed are the gentle. Blessed are the peacemakers. This is Dr. Jay Quine, remembering the word “blessed”. It means to be content, at peace, at rest, to be happy, regardless of all the concerns and pressures of life. Oddly it is Recognizing your poverty of spirit you can be happy –for yours is the Kingdom of heaven.