Thursday, August 18, 2011

Quine on Romans 6:11 "dead to sin"

Bousval - dalle funéraire Thierry Lejeune 1 Romans 6 -- Dead to Sin, by Jay QuineRomans 6:11 and the quixotic phrase "dead to sin"
I often hear, “If I am saved by faith in Christ, then why can’t I sin all I want and still go to heaven?” There are many reasons not to sin: sin is eventually harmful; is against God’s will; and will destroy you. These are all true, but the Bible says something very different. Romans 6 says, “Don’t you know you have died to sin.” In other words, it makes no sense to even ask, “Why can’t I sin all I want” because you have died to sin. If we have died then sin no longer has power over us. Let me, Dr. Jay Quine, help you remember this word. In Christ you have died, and are already raised to walk in newness of life. Consider yourself set free by death, not to sin but to serve.