Monday, September 5, 2011

Spiritual Gifts: Chapter 6.3 - Gift of Missionary, by Jay Quine

Your Gifts, Your Values -- Quine

Missionary

Although it is never explicitly mentioned as a spiritual gift, it is possible that Paul, the missionary to the Gentiles, described the characteristics of someone with this inclination in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.

Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to wine the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (through I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Some people are just given to reaching out to other cultures, whether across the ocean, or across the fence.

Conclusion: The Holy Spirit gives certain members of the local church the desire to minister whatever other spiritual gifts they have in a second culture or second community.